Picture of Learning Helpdesk
Opportunity to support teacher training in India
by Learning Helpdesk - Wednesday, 23 May 2012, 11:27 PM

A chairde,

INTO Learning would like to bring your attention to the Global Classroom initiative which is currently seeking volunteer teachers to support a teacher education programme in India this summer.  See below for the details.

Kind Regards,

Alison Gilliland

INTO Learning Senior Official

Sharing Educational Experience Worldwide

SHARE YOUR TEACHING EXPERIENCE WITH
TEACHERS IN INDIA AND THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS WILL BENEFIT

Global Schoolroom is currently recruiting primary and secondary school teachers from Ireland to volunteer as facilitators of teacher education on the UCD-accredited University Diploma in Teacher Education in India this coming July.  For the Indian teachers this represents their second year on the programme and your role will be to facilitate training for a four week period in the areas of Assessment, School Leadership and Reflection and to observe Teaching Practice in local schools. No skills in this area is a prerequisite as Global Schoolroom provides full training ahead of the programme.

INTO President Noreen Flynn visited the programme last year a recorded her experience in the October issue of Intouch as did Tommy Neary of St. Attracta's JNS see page 32/33 http://www.into.ie/ROI/Publications/OtherPublications/InTouch/2011/October2011/

Other teacher experiences are recounted here

“People who have travelled and worked in remote and challenging communities will often tell you that ‘you get so much more back than you give.’ Soon after beginning work in Umkiang, a small jungle village in remote North East India I came to know and understand this deeply. The dedication and interest shown by the Indian teachers was inspiring. The insights and experiences within this intimate community were as special and unique as one could ever hope for. It was an incredible opportunity for me professionally and personally. So now I am one of those people who say, ‘you get so much more back than you give’, and it’s true.”
Joni Clarke (INTO) – Recently seconded to PDST Dublin

“The Global schoolroom initiative is making a real difference. It is impacting on how school communities work and how pupils learn in North East India. It is an enabling and empowering tool for participants, a tool by which Indian teachers can evaluate and improve teaching and learning.
This has been and continues to be a life changing process for participating teachers from the East and the West. It respects the power of education to break cycles of injustice and inequalities, thus providing opportunities for all. I feel extremely privileged to have participated in Global Schoolroom. The preparation was thorough, the support was unfaltering, the commitment was inspiring, the learning is long-lasting and the memories are unforgettable.”
Jenny Dooley Ryan (INTO) – Recently seconded to PDST Limerick

“Global Schoolroom has been the single most rewarding project I have undertaken in my teaching career. The most rewarding aspect of the programme is that it is a reciprocal learning process for both Irish and Indian teachers. I learned a huge amount about the Indian culture, formed strong friendships and examined my own teaching philosophy. Working with such an inspirational group of Irish teachers forged a deeper respect for my chosen profession and strengthened my love of teaching. In each of the last two years that I have participated, despite the considerable amount of work involved, I have returned to my job in September feeling energised, full of new ideas and with a greater understand of the gift of education. 

The programme itself is hugely worthwhile to the Indian teachers. I have had the privilege of witnessing Indian teachers grow in confidence and up-skill their teaching methods. It never ceases to amaze me how much the Global Schoolroom students respect and value our contribution to their development. My lasting memories of my trips to India are of hard work, firm friendship and friendly faces. I can highly recommend Global Schoolroom to anyone who has an interest in Educational Development. ”

Patrick Sullivan (INTO) – Recently appointed Principal of Ard Rí Community National School

The ripple effect of this innovative development model means that one Irish teacher sharing their experience and teaching skills for one month will contribute hugely to building better standards for 50 local teachers. When these 50 teachers return to their communities this will impact on the education of
10,000 pupils!

1 MONTH X 1 IRISH TEACHER X 50 LOCAL TEACHERS = 10,000 PUPILS!

Global Schoolroom is a charity registered in Ireland that seeks to promote the sharing of educational experience between communities worldwide to help eradicate poverty, promote economic development and build sustainable communities. 

We work directly with teachers and communities to build a strong framework for high standards of teacher education.  The Global Schoolroom programme is designed to be sustained by local networks. This is achieved through the forging of respectful links between educational partners to their mutual benefit.  This sharing of good educational practices enriches the collective educational experience, widens the cultural horizons of everyone involved and expands each individual’s scope for opportunity.  Children in the communities involved receive a better quality education which ultimately leads to greater economic development and higher standards of living.

MANY IRISH
TEACHERS WHO HAVE TAKEN PART IN THIS PROGRAMME HAVE GONE ON TO BECOME SCHOOL
PRINCIPALS AND HIGHLY RESPECTED EDUCATORS

For more information or to get an application form, go to www.globalschoolroom.net or email info@globalschoolroom.net.

THE CLOSING
DATE FOR RECEIPT OF COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS IS EXTENDED TO

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY
18, 2012 AND INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD IN DUBLIN ON 21 & 22 JANUARY.

PREDEPARTURE
TRAINING BEGINS ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 28